We’re recently back from a holiday which required super human efforts in organising 2 adults, a 3 1/2 year old and a 4 month old for a whole day of flying. Maybe it was such a mammoth effort due to the fact that I didn’t start packing until the day before…anyway, my priorities for flight prep were something like this:
- Pack plenty of snacks to nourish and entertain Miss 3.
- Download movies, games and music onto iPad and iPhones.
- Oh yeah, and pack clothes, toiletries and other essential items.
Why do I give food prep such a high priority when flying? Well, it’s not just because I find plane food disgusting (the sickly sweet smell and the way it sits in your gut all sluggish and yuck..) there are many benefits in taking the time to make your own snacks when flying:
- You get to be in control of what goes into your food.
- You save money!
- You can get the kids to help & get excited about the trip.
- You can boost your immune system essential nutrients and avoid those nasty bugs that often come with flying.
- By baking extra, you can freeze and have snacks all ready for when you arrive home tired and with a weeks worth of washing to do!
Sounds awesome, right? And I promise it is so easy to do. Let’s look at some yummy snack ideas you can prep ahead for your next trip:
- Coconut and seed balls.
- Carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks.
- Savoury muffins (these are great if you have an early flight and need something for breakfast).
- Variety of fruit.
- Pikelets (so quick and easy to make with just spelt flour, baking powder, 1 egg, vanilla extract and some mashed banana).
I know it’s sometimes just to easy to say ‘well, we are on holiday’s so we can eat whatever we want’ but honestly, if you take a little time to be prepared you can enjoy yummy food that is also good for you – without the guilt.